Monday, March 21, 2011

To Jungle or Not to Jungle? That is the question

So we're coming down to our last few unaccounted for weekends here in Ecuador. Which is pretty crazy! We've been doing ok on cash. Living it up a little but trying to save as well... this is not my area of expertise. I always try but I usually fail. I think, especially being abroad, I just don't want to miss anything. Now, if you're my father, you'd say 'You can't do everything. Sometimes you have to say no.' To which I would say, 'I know, I know, I know.' I just don't really like this option. My thought process going something like this... Well, we'll get jobs when we're home and then we'll have some money to live off of. And we're only here in Ecuador for 6 more weekends. So doesn't it make more sense to really live up those six more weekends while we're here... doing things we cant do at home. Like going to the jungle, and climbing mountains and seeing ancient ruins and surfing lessons? If left to my own devices,  I'd probably never have a savings account bigger than I do now (a whopping $30 some) but I'd really live it up a long the way.

Anywho all of this relates back to our current question... do we go to the jungle or not? And if so how do we do it? Most of our friends have done the same tour with Happy Gringo. It's four days and everything is included, except the bus ticket there ($8/person/way). The cost is right around $200/person. So that'd be about $450 when all is said and done. Which we might be able to scrape together. The things is this month we also have to renew our visas (cost = $90/person) because we need an extra 30 days on them.

The other option is for us to just take the bus one weekend to Tena or Lagra Agrio and arrange it from there ourselves. We think this would be cheaper but we're not quite sure because well we've never done it before.

What would you do? Just say 'ok, let's do it,' and come back to the States with a very small amount of cash and eat soup for the next month so that you could spend 4 days in THE Amazon. or be responsible and save your money so that when you come back home you'll have cash to spend.

MULUB,
Taylor

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't often eat soup at 864 N. Prairie St. and our table is your table. Besides, based on your prior blogs, everyone knows you like soup. You know what the right thing to do is and I know you are going to do it. Watch out for the snakes. Take lots of pictures.

A Taylor Bogdan said...

oh Dad you know me too well. We're going to go April 21-25!

Anonymous said...

Do it! Do it! And take lots of pictures.