Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Winter Wonderland

Surprisingly I miss Chicago winter. We're full into winter season here in Quito and can I tell you something... it's terrible. Even though we arrived here in winter season last season, I wasn't prepared. If you remember we were in a drought last winter. Remember that day we didn't have water/electricity? It was because there wasn't enough rain during winter. Well, we're making up for all of that missed rain right now. So much so, that the fountains that have been off ALL YEAR are now on. It's strange and I don't like it.



Basically this is what the day is like - grey and rainy. I'm talking not an ounce of sunshine since at least Sunday. Plus it rains almost all day. Sprinkles on and off in the morning and then full on rain in the afternoon. Luckily, I have this awesome North Face rain jacket and I've also been using another one that Caitlin left, that's great too. But on top of the rain... it's freezing! I'm actually using the insert, not just the shell, of the North Face. And when I wear Caitlin's jacket I have to layer it with a VERY thick alpaca sweater that I bought at the market. And even with both layers, I'm cold. I've been wearing a scarf for the past couple of months because it's usually chillier in the morning and then I can stash it in my backpack by the time the sun comes out. But now I need gloves and a hat.

More than gloves and a hat, though, I need rain boots! Can I tell you how much I HATE having wet feet. Quito/Chuki have destroyed so many pairs of shoes that I'm down to my running shoes, a couple of pairs of black flats, two pairs of converse-esque shoes and a pair of black suede boots Christine left me. Every pair of sneakers are canvas = soaked in about 2 minutes. The black flats have absolutely no support so I try and avoid walking on the terribly uneven Quiteno 'cobblestone' with them on my feet. And the black boots, lets just say you can see my socks through the holes in the soles. My best bet would honestly be sandals!

At least in Chicago when it's winter it snows and you get that beautiful calm that comes just after snow. Everything is white and you can crunch through the snow in your boots, because you're prepared for snow. At least in Chicago the Christmas lights and music and decorations make sense. I'm hoping and praying that it snows the night of December 8th. So that way our flight can come in on time, without delay, and we can make it back to Rockford to see our families without a hassle. But then when we go to bed, it will start snowing and we'll wake up in the morning and EVERYTHING will be white! Oh, please?!

Despite how much I love the white winter wonderland, the one thing we both have decided we're not ready for is the bitter cold. Its been averaging about 50 degrees here (12 celsius) and we're both freezing... ALL OF THE TIME. As I type this my hands are frozen, only briefly warmed as I grab my coffee cup. My toes are cold despite the warmest socks. And my whole body would just rather be under a blanket then out from under one. So what will we do when it's 10 degrees, or negative degrees? I'm really not sure!

Doesn't matter though, we still can't wait to be home and see everyone. I had a cab driver ask me today if I missed my city? While I've talked tons about missing my family and friends, I thought about it a minute and resonated a firm yes. I miss the lights on Michigan Ave and the Macy's windows. I miss the decorations in all of the stores on Clark in Andersonville. I miss putting up the Christmas tree and buying Christmas scented candles in Paulina and Winnemac! Believe it or not, I miss sloshing through the snow (white, grey or yellow)!

Merry (almost) Christmas everyone!

MULUB,
Taylor

PS. 4 days until the race, 11 days until (we celebrate) Thanksgiving, and exactly 3 weeks and 30 minutes until we board an airplane to Miami!

2 comments:

Brad said...

currently 39F, cloudy, small winds and sprinkles but no snow. maybe old man winter is holding off just for you two!

Taylor said...

I hope so! Did you get the email about Dec 9?