Friday, September 17, 2010

Pretending it's Fall

Now that we're half way through September, Ryan and I have really been missing fall at home. The thought of Edward's Apple Orchard just makes me sick with yearning. What I would give for a peck of Honeycrisps, a liter of cider and a whole dozen, yes you heard right, a whole dozen of donuts! Meanwhile, back in our reality, it's been hotter than hades here! I get so hot that I feel like my skin is made of plastic. Usually it's in the afternoons when I'm on my hour bus ride to my little kids class and there are 50 million people on the bus and of course every single one of them doesn't even notice the heat, besides me! Geeze people! I think this is the reason people put their infants in snow suits here, because they want them to be accustomed to being hot ALL OF THE TIME during these weeks!

I've been meaning to have an all day cooking day for a while now. But I've been really busy with classes, which is a whole other post! As you know, it's quite a tight month and it's only exasperated when there seems to be no food in the house. So I've been meaning to cook a ton of food so it's one less thing to worry about! Combine that with my few found obsession: Google Reader (more to come). And I have all of my food blogs in one easy place with about a billion containing the tag TO COOK.

So today was the day. I made red sauce to cover the lasagna from last week that's nakedly sitting in my freezer. I made Glazed Apple Bread, except with bananas because I live in the ex-banana republic. And I made Caldo Xochitl, a mexican soup. Plus I started soaking the beans for the Pumpkin 3 Bean Chili I'm going to make tomorrow.

And wouldn't you know it that as I started to cook my fall-esque foods, the temperature dropped to darn right chili. I had to put on a long sleeve shirt over my shorts and tank top! I turned on some David Gray (the epitome of fall music and such a reminder of sophomore year of high school!). Once that bread was in the oven, it really felt and smelt like fall! For all I knew, I could have been at home in the midwest. Except for those big Andean mountains outside my window! It was glorious and good for the soul!

I'm happy to report that EVERYTHING is DELICIOUS! Of course, I made some tweaks to the originally posted recipes based on what's available here in the South of Americas. So please, enjoy!

MULUB,
Taylor

No comments: