Friday, September 17, 2010

Glazed Apple Bread




This will make your house smell like fall deliciousness and you'll want to eat the whole thing because of that fact. <-- Just a disclaimer.



So I made this Glazed Apple Bread not with apples but with plantains that I've had in the freezer for who knows how long. As a side note, why do people throw away bananas? Just pop them in the freezer when they're about to go bad and use them later to bake with or for doggie treats! Chuki loves them, especially when it's hot out and we're laying out on the terrace.

Anyways this recipe comes from a new food blog that I just found out about through my Google Reader. It's called PassTheSushi.com. I haven't looked around at all on the site, so I'm not really saying anything about it, besides that this bread was fantastic!

The original recipe makes 2 loaves, but because we're only two people and not that big of fatties (although if I had made two loaves, we would have eaten two), I decided to 1/2 the recipe. Here's how it works:

3/4 cup of frozen mashed plantains (about 4)
1/2 cup of panela (similar to brown sugar but earlier in the sugar making process)
1/4 cup of buttermilk (put 1/4 cup of milk and 1 tsp of lemon juice in a cup, stir, let set 5 minutes)
1/4 cup of sunflower oil
2 lightly beaten eggs
1.5 cups of flour (2 cups if you're at high altitude)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix plantains, panela, buttermilk, oil and eggs. Add dry ingredients. Combine until all are wet. Put in buttered bread tin. Bake at 350 for 50ish minutes.

Glaze -
Note: I forgot I had 1/2ed the bread recipe and made the full glaze recipe. This is dangerous, because now I want glaze on everything. Glaze on eggs, glaze on granola, glaze on you name it!

2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup panela
1 tbsp milk + 1 tsp
1/4 - 1/2 cup of powdered sugar

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add panela. Mix continuously. Bring to boil for 2 minutes. Add milk. Bring to boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. MIX MIX MIX.

Let the mixture cool down for 30 minutes. Put saucepan in a bowl of cold water. Slowly add powdered sugar depending on desired sweetness. (I added about 1/3 cup and it was plenty sweet for me.) Add milk until you are able to drizzle the glaze over the bread. ENJOY warm with butter. Sinful, I know.

MULUB,
Taylor

No comments: