Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Taxis



At the behest of Taylor I am writing a blog. Lets start of with a little poll to see what people know of the subject matter:






So? How'd ya do?



Really, in Ecuador, this is more of a philosophical/metaphysical question than an absolute. As such, there are no right answers, so be prepared for some SOCRATIC METHOD to be thrown at your candy ass!!!
The Macho Man is not impressed with your faulty logic,OHHH YEAAHH!!!
I'll just tell you that from my layman's knowledge, a taxi driver is someone who picks you up and drives you where you to go.


Now from my experience this is not always case. Say, for example, I have an empty tank of gas and I want to get up the hill to the bodega so I can refill it. I'll put out my hand to hail the taxi and the driver will look me in the eye and go all Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo on me.
REJECTED!!!
Typically in this situation, I have to take an unregistered cab (and by unregistered cab I mean "guy with a car who wants to make a few bucks"). Which is fine, but I usually have to wait a little longer and often wake up in a bathtub full of ice; but you gotta bite the bullet. Sometimes you just need gas.


Another time we were waiting with our cart outside our friendly neighborhood Megamaxi, which looks like this during the day:


.... and this when danger strikes:


So Taylor and and I were waiting by the curb and I hailed a cab. He drives into the circle and sees our cart and motions "no not you, them" and points at a couple of bimbos just walking out of the store with just a few bag. Well, you can guess where this is headed. The bimbos entered the cab. It was obvious that we had been waiting and had also hailed the cab, but why should they worry their pretty little heads about common human decency or an unwritten code. This isn't Nam. There are rules.
The next cabbie to pass me up is going
to enter a world of pain.
To conclude, if you are a cabbie and you have no fare and I hail you. Please, don't pass me by. Pick me up. You're making me feel like Danny Glover.

No comments: