Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mitad Del Mundo 21K

I raced this weekend and it was fantastic. I really had so much fun! The whole process is fun... the training and then the racing. It's a little anti-climactic though because now I feel like 'ok, whats next?' Not too much to say about the actual race besides it was long.


  • We started at Plaza de Toros and we finished at Mitad del Mundo (the middle of the world, where the north and south hemispheres meet). 
  • On Saturday we had to go pick up our packets. There was a lot of confusion if I was actually registered because I never received a confirmation email. So after emailing back and forth in Spanish with the race registration company, I find out that I was registered. As soon as we got to the EXPO it started pouring rain, so we didn't stay long (it was, of course, outside).
  • The race started at 6am. I was up around 4:15 so that I could eat and get dressed. 
  • There weren't a ton of participants. Nothing like the 15K I ran in July, but still there were probably a couple of thousand. 
  • The race was all ups and downs. I probably ran on flat ground for 30 minutes max. Maybe 3 or 4 kilometers. 
  • The worst part was the slow and steady uphill climb for the last 2 kilometers. 
  • I felt really strong, not like I was going to die at all. Except for when I REALLY REALLY had to go to the bathroom at about the 10K mark and then again from the 19K to the finish. 
  • My official chip time was 2:13:31! I wanted to run it in under 2:30, so I'm very happy!
All in all, I'm extremely happy to have finished the race and I can't wait for the next one. I have a new found respect for people who run the full marathon. I mean I've always respected them, but good Lord to do that twice?! That's crazy. On the other hand though, I really would like to run a full marathon, preferably at sea level in a very flat city... Chicago 2011? Maybe?!

Now though, it's on to things like planning our Thanksgiving dishes and getting a few Christmas gifts here and there! I cannot believe that we only have 14 more sleeps here until we board a plane for Chicago! I'm getting more and more excited everyday! 

MULUB, 
Taylor 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!
You look fantastic.
Can't wait for the hugs!!
Come on home.