Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Full Weekend

We've had a relatively eventful weekend, which is sometimes unusual for us. Friday, I only had class in the morning, which was amazing. I've been having so much class lately that I don't have a minute during the day. I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, it's just very different from the summer months. It's actually really good that I've been having a lot of classes because 2 of Ryan's classes have finished. Like always, it's taking forever to reconfirm the classes. Therefore, he's been home more and I've been teaching more. Anyways, Friday was a nice change for me to be home during the day. I was able to get done some of the things that I wanted to accomplish. Actually, I was far less productive than I wanted to be and my Friday's To Do list has taken all weekend.




Friday night we were planning on going to Ross y Lenke's house for drinks and appetizers before we headed to SAE. We had to go to Megamaxi before we went to Ross y Lenke's because we needed to buy avocados and chips in order to make guacamole. Because I hadn't accomplished everything I had hoped, I was feeling quite crabby on the walk to Megamaxi, which eventually led to a good conversation between me and Ryan. We talked about how it's so exhausting not having enough money. We have chosen this living arrangement, and so for us 'living without' is self-inflicted. And we completely understand that it's because of our decisions, that we don't have enough money. But we can also leave this situation, and we will leave it. We'll move somewhere else where the pay is better and we'll keep our cost of living low and then we'll have enough money to live, to save, to enjoy. But for now, it's exhausting and it's frustrating. And I'm just so grateful that we aren't in this situation because of factors we can't control.

Anyways, we went to Megamaxi, we bought our avocados and chips, we came home, made guacamole and then left for Ross y Lenke's. Ryan managed to forget the keys in the house and so he had to climb over the balcony from our neighbors, before we could leave. We ended up having a great night with new friends!

Saturday we got up and went for a super long walk through Guapalo and La Floresta. Both are areas of Quito that we aren't super familiar with so it was nice to explore the city more. Chuki did great and was so tired by the time we got home, that I thought he might not even eat dinner. Saturday night, Sarah and Corine came over for dinner, wine and cards! We ate dal with cilantro rice and homemade nan and yogurt sauce. Plus, we drank wine OUT OF A BOTTLE! For dessert, I tried an oatmeal pumpkin bar recipe that I found on cooks.com that was eh-so-so. (Which just further confirms my theory that recipes from food blogs are just much better that the ones from recipe sites.) It was so great to catch up with Sarah and Corine after what seems like ages of not seeing each other. They just got back from a week long trip in the south of Ecuador, which was fun to hear about!

Today started off as cloudy and grey but its actually quite sunny right now. A perfect day for the dog park and a nice long run in Parque Metropolitano. We're supposed to have a play date with a 2 month old boxer puppy and her mom, a fellow gringa, that I met on the street by our apt building. But we will have to see if that pans out.

I have a few more things to accomplish this evening. Including making ginger paste, apple chips and pumpkin spiced cake - or muffins, I haven't quite decided. Plus, I'd like to patch up the third of three big holes in the couch, created by the one and only Chukibear. And that's our weekend!

How was your weekend? Hopefully it was just as fun and eventful as ours!

MULUB,
Taylor

No comments: