Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chicago Marathon

I would just like to publicly say, to all of my friends and all of the participants, CONGRATULATIONS on running the 2010 Chicago Marathon! 26.2 baby, 26.2!

No, but seriously, the Chicago Marathon is such an inspiring event, for runners and non-runners a like. If you live in the greater Chicago-land area and you haven't been, mark your calendars because you need to get there!


I went last year for the first time (and only time, so far) to cheer on my bestest and dearest friend, Hannah Schlotterbeck, as she ran to raise money for this amazing program at Marillac House called CHIP. Anyways, I was living with Hannah so I watched her train and battle a whole ton of setbacks before the big day! But then, despite terrible stomach problems, she completed 26.2 miles and she became a Marathoner.


After not feeling so great, we finally saw her around mile 23 with a popsicle and you would have thought someone had given her a bag of gold! 


We were all so proud! And two of these ladies made their Marathon premier after watching Hannah race in 2009. Sarah Marrinan is in the white jacket to Hannah's left and Joanna Bastermajian is right above her, holding the YOU ARE AMAZING poster! We have 3 Marathoners in our circle of friends! We're amazing!


I think that the most impressive sight is the starting line. But there isn't a sight that isn't impressive. I mean mile 6, 12, 20, and 26 are all inspirational. I can't imagine running 26.2 but I hope to some day. In fact, I hope to run the Chicago Marathon as soon as I feel ready (read: something like 5 years) and as soon as we're back in Chicago for the fall (read: I MISS FALL!)

All that to say, I'm sure we're missing some people but a HUGE SHOUT OUT to Joanna Bastermajian, Brandon Mull and Sarah Marrinan for running and completing the Chicago Marathon. I know that for Joanna and Sarah they had to sacrifice something almost sacrosanct - LFC Homecoming - in order to be rested and ready!

Who else of you ran the Chicago Marathon? How was it? What do you think about for all of that time?  Or have you ever been inspired by watching a race or other athletic event? Either leave a comment or email us at ryanANDtaylorDOecuador@gmail.com

MULUB,
Taylor

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh lady friend, thank you so much for writing about the marathon, you helped me out so much during training, and it meant the world to me to see you there on race day. Love you so much, and cant wait to see you!

~Hannah <3

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out! It was an awesome event, as always, but the weather could have been better. It was a bit too hot to hit the time I was hoping for.